Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Word 'Jubilee' Makes Everything Happier

Last year I made a fairly public promise to attend the National Jug Band Jubilee, and I did follow through on that promise. And honestly, I had an unreasonably fantastic time.  As soon as I saw the fliers for this year's Jubilee, I did a little happy dance of anticipation.

The 2011 Jubilee is Saturday September 17 and features 9 national jug bands from noon til 11p at the Brown-Foreman Amphitheater.  Admission is free, and this year's festival is going to be recorded for a future Kentucky Homefront radio show on WFPK.

One of the things I loved most about the Jubilee is that it attracted a pretty diverse group of (given, mostly white) people. There were people for whom jug band music is part of their heritage. There were a ton of Bardstown Road hipsters on their Vespas. The similarities in dress, however, made a casual game of "Facial Hair: Ironic or Authentic?" preeeetty darned difficult.

Jug band music is billed as "America's Happiest Music."  And if you've ever been to the Jubilee, you'll understand why. There's dancing and storytelling and crafts and good comfort food and beer.  People bring their whole families-- multiple generations. And y'all know how I feel about music outside, especially on the water?  Heaven.  Here's hoping the weather shapes up before then.

No comments: